Rob Shelquist heads up the firm's consumer protection and products liability litigation practice groups. During the course of his career, he has represented individuals, small businesses and corporations in a wide range of civil litigation including defective and mispriced products, securities and ERISA, anti-competitive conduct, privacy, and the use of sharp business practices, fraud, misrepresentations, and other statutory violations in conjunction with the sale of goods and services. Mr. Shelquist has represented plaintiffs as court-appointed counsel and was one of the trial attorneys in two national class actions tried to verdict. In Peterson v. BASF Corp., a judgment in excess of $60 million was paid following a jury verdict, multiple state appellate opinions, and two trips to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Shelquist has been and continues to be named Lead, Executive Committee, Plaintiff Steering Committee, and Committee Chair in complex litigation in both federal and state courts throughout the United States. Over the course of his career, Mr. Shelquist has led cases which have collectively resulted in close to $1 billion worth of recoveries by way of judgment and settlement.
A 1987 graduate of the University of California at Berkeley with a double major in Legal Studies and Political Science (with high honors), Mr. Shelquist was elected to the Golden Key Society. He received his J.D. Degree from the University of Minnesota Law School, cum laude, in 1990. He continues to lecture at continuing legal education events on a variety of topics, has been involved in the leadership of the consumer section of the Bar Association, and is a member of a working group for Standards and Best Practices, Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies.
- In Re CertainTeed Corp. Roofing Shingle Products Liability Litig., MDL 1817 (E.D. Pa.) (Co-Lead Counsel)
- Eliason v. Gentek Building Products, Inc., et al., Civ. No. 10-cv-2093 (N.D. Ohio) (Executive Committee)
- In Re HardiePlank Fiber Cement Siding Litig., MDL No. 2359 (D. Minn.) (Lead Counsel)
- In Re IKO Roofing Shingle Products Liability Litig., MDL No. 2104 (C.D. Ill.) (Co-Lead Counsel)
- In Re Kitec Plumbing Systems Products Liab. Litig. MDL No. 2098 (N.D. Tex.) (Co-Lead Counsel)
- McFerren v. AT&T Mobility LLC, Civil No. 2008-cv-151322 (Superior Court Fulton County, GA) (Chairman of Plaintiffs' Steering Committee)
- In Re Medtronic, Inc. Sprint Fidelis Leads Products Liability Litig., MDL 08-1905 (D. Minn.) (Liaison Counsel)
- In Re Navistar Diesel Engine Products Liab. Litig., MDL No. 2223 (N.D. Ill.) (Plaintiffs' Steering Committee)
- In Re Northstar Education Finance, Inc. Contract Litig., MDL 08-1990 (D. Minn.) (Co-Lead Counsel)
- Cynthia Walker v. Cellfish Media, LLC, No. 08 CH 40592 (IL. Cir. Ct.) (Plaintiffs' Steering Committee)
- Patricia Wright, et al. v. Owens Corning, MDL No. 1567 (W.D. Pa) (Co-Lead Counsel)
- In re Google Android Consumer Privacy Litig., MDL No. 2264 (N.D. Calif.) (Interim Co-Lead Counsel)
- In Re Zurn Pex Products Liability Litig., MDL 1958 (D. Minn.) (Co-Chair Plaintiffs' Steering Committee)
- In Re Aredia and Zometa Products Liability Litig., MDL 06-1760 (M.D. Tenn.) (Plaintiffs' Steering Committee)
- In Re Baycol Products Litig., MDL No. 1431 (D. Minn.) (Discovery and Briefing Committees)
- In Re Blue Cross Blue Shield Subscriber Litig., Master File No. 19-C3-98-7780 (Dakota County District Court, Minn.) (Co-Chair Discovery Committee)
- Davenport, et al. v. Illinois Farmers Insurance Company, et al., Case No. CIV-03-158-F (W.D. Ok.)
- In Re Guidant Corp. Implantable Defibrillators Products Liability Litig., MDL No. 05-1708 (DWF/AJB) (D. Minn.) (Trial Team)
- In Re IPhone Application Litig., Civil No. 10-CV-05878-LHK (N.D. Calif.) (Executive Committee)
- In Re Medtronic, Inc., Inplantable Defibrillators Products Liability Litig., MDL No. 05-1726 (JMR/AJB) (D. Minn.) (Trial Team)
- In Re Meridia Products Liability Litig., MDL 1481 (N.D. Ohio) (Co-Chair Discovery Committee)
- In Re Milk Products Antitrust Litig., Master File 3-96-458 (D. Minn.) (Co-Chair Discovery Committee)
- In Re National Arbitration Forum Litig., Civil No. 09-1939 (D. Minn.) (Plaintiffs' Lead Counsel Committee)
- Robert Smale v. Sears Roebuck & Co. and Whirlpool Corp., Court File No. C3-04-8891 (Hennepin County District Court) (Liaison Counsel)
- George v. Uponor Corporation, et al., Court File No. 12-249 (D. Minn.) (Co-Lead Counsel)
Mr. Shelquist lectures on a variety of legal topics.
- Named a Minnesota Super Lawyer from 2003-2014 by Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters business.
- Mr. Shelquist has been recognized as a Super Lawyer by Minnesota Law and Politics and listed in the Guide to Leading American Attorneys.
- Federal Bar Association
- Minnesota Bar Association
Mr. Shelquist is involved with a number of community organizations as a volunteer.
- University of Minnesota Law School, 1990, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court